Stay in Canada Permanently

As an individual, you may have options to come or stay in Canada permanently. While Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) has an ever evolving immigration system, there are supporting factors that will likely always remain.

Currently the most important factors are having a valid job offer from a Canadian employer, or a Nomination Certificate issued a provincial/territorial government.

It is important to note that on January 01, 2015 CIC radically overhauled the way an individual applies for certain programs. Please see below the Express Entry Stream for more information.

Express Entry Stream:

In January 2015 CIC launched a new online system called Express Entry (EE) to manage certain economic-driven permanent resident applications.

Programs now running under the EE Stream are the following: Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and Canadian Experience Class. The Provincial/Territorial Nominee Programs are optionally utilized through the EE stream by potential applicants, Canadian employers and the provincial governments themselves.

General Overview on how it Works:

• Potential applicants will complete a profile on an online system, uploading their detailed information. CIC will assign the applicant a ranking score under their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), factoring in age, language ability (French and or English), employment background, education level, possession of a Provincial Nomination Certificate, or valid job offer backed up by an LMIA

• Potential applicants must qualify for at least one of the following programs: Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Canadian Experience Class, or Provincial Nominee

• CIC will periodically select the highest ranked individuals from the pool of candidates, issuing them an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence in Canada. There will caps on the number of ITA’s issued for each draw date, and the programs they select from can vary.

• If an individual receives an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence, they must submit their complete permanent resident application within 60 days.

• The processing time is expected to take up to 6 months before finalization (this figure could vary depending on a number of factors).

This program is suitable for individuals who have attained at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before applying, and meet the required language levels needed for the job. Points are awarded based on several factors. Those who rank the highest could be invited to apply for permanent residence under the Express Entry Stream.

This program is driven by labour market demand for skilled workers. An applicant must qualify for this program by meeting a minimum number of points, separate from points issued under the Express Entry ranking system. Points are awarded based on age, language assessment scoring, education, employment history, adaptability factors such as other family members living in Canada, a valid Canadian job offer.

This program is suitable for skilled tradespeople with training and experience who will contribute to the Canadian economy. A Canadian offer of employment or Certification of Qualification in the skilled trade you are applying under is a requirement.

Certain provinces in Canada have their own selection process of potential permanent residents. Their programs are based on the province’s current and projected labour market and economy needs. Most nominee programs have provisions for those with permanent Canadian job offers. Some provinces also offer programs based on family ties, as well as options for students who graduated from a Canadian institute. If an applicant is Nominated by a province, they can apply for permanent residence.

Some provinces will have both their standard nominee programs in addition to sub-categories than can be applied through via Express Entry.

Additional Programs Available Outside of the Express Entry Stream:

Live-in caregivers come to Canada for employment on a temporary basis to assist with a Canadian aging population and a high-demand for supportive care for Canadian families and individuals. A Live-in Caregiver may apply for permanent residence after he/she has been employed for a qualifying period of time.

As a citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada you may be able to sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, your dependent children, your adopted child, and other relatives who meet certain criteria. For spouses/common-law partners there are different approaches that can be taken to submit an application, each with their own pros/cons.

Share our Website
Related Blogs

Want to know your Immigration Options?